Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Back from traveling and Cola Chicken recipe


Well, I'm back from our mini-vacation and I'm happy to report that I only gained 1 pound! WOW!  I packed good snacks and tried to eat smart meals at restaurants (except for Pancake Pantry, where my oldest daughter and I split an order of 5 large Sweet Potato Pancakes w/ cinnamon cream syrup! I've been daydreaming about those pancakes since I had them 3 years ago, so it was well worth the splurge!!)  I did get some exercise - attempting to ski for the first time in 20 years was KILLER and ice skating was painful as well. Two days later and my upper body is still VERY sore!

Travel days are the worst, but I packed plenty of water and fruit for snacking in the car. Going there, we stopped at Cracker Barrel and I had grilled chicken salad and didn't eat the deviled eggs or "wedge of cheese", so it was somewhere between 8-12 points, based on what I can find online.

While there, we ate at the cabin the first night (turkey wrap, Sunchips, vegies and fruits) and we ate out for B'fast the the next day (see above) and lunch that first day I had a "Fruit Plate" with homemade chicken salad (only ate 1/2), some sort of jello dessert and about 1/2 cup of corn chowder. Points completely UNKNOWN!  Dinner was grilled burgers, chips and vegies. (and would you believe me that the chips gave me heartburn both nights!) The next day we ate b'fast at home, lunch at the ski lodge (grilled chicken sandwich and some fries) and dinner was at a local brewery - BBQ chicken (with cheese and tomatoes on top), mashed potatoes and broccoli...and 2 beers...oops!

Coming home, the girls wanted to eat at Wendy's for lunch on the way home, so I ordered a "half" Baja salad, which was only 7 points, but I only ate about 1/2 the chili.  (however, I was STARVING just 2 1/2 hours late. I probably should have eaten all the chili. Oh well!) I did however, share a small bag of gummie bears with my daughters! :-) 

But overall, I was VERY happy with only 1 lb weight gain!  Back on the wagon today!

Well, I will report that the Oreo Mousse on Valentines night went over VERY well at my house. The kids and hubby LOVED it and I even put it in fancy glasses to serve it in. I had plenty leftover to take on our vacation, so we ate it there, too. My oldest is requesting it again ASAP!

Last Wednesday night I made Cola Chicken, an OLD Weight Watchers recipe that I adore because #1) its SO easy and #2) its SO good!

Cola Chicken

Makes 4 servings

 Ingredients:
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (1 pound)
1 cup ketchup
12 oz can diet cola (any kind of cola - Pepsi, Coke, generic, I just always use Diet Coke)


Directions
Whisk ketchup and cola in separate bowl. Put chicken in non-stick skillet.  Pour ketchup and diet cola over the top.  Bring to boil.

Cover, reduce heat and cook for 20-25 minutes.  Uncover, turn up the heat and continue to cook until the sauce becomes thick and adheres to the chicken (about 7-10 minutes).  It turns into the most  incredible BBQ sauce and it's only 6 points per serving.  Yummm!

FYI:
3 oz chicken breast = 5 points plus
4 oz chicken breasts = 6 points plus

Tips: I usually just buy a can of diet cola from a vending machine. I also flatten the chicken breast  before cooking.


If memory serves me correctly, I served this with steamed broccoli, roasted vegies and fresh fruit salad. Both kids DID eat this!

This week is going to be a little topsy turvey....hubby is out of town, so the girls and I won't be eating sit down dinner but maybe one time, and I have "soup and sandwiches" on the menu that night. I may make some yummy homemade WW tomato soup and do grilled cheese sandwiches. If I remember correctly, the soup is 1 point and the sandwiches are 4 points each. Not a bad dinner!! I'll post that recipe later this week. I have blackened tilapia tacos on the menu for Friday night, and quite frankly, I'm excited about trying that recipe!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment