Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hot & Cold - Blackened Tilapia Tacos & Key Lime Pie Sandwiches

With hubby out of town this week and a busy activity week for the kiddos, I haven't cooked. I've been eating leftovers and last night I ate at Church. HOWEVER, tomorrow night, I plan to make Blackened Tilapia Tacos. While I will probably be the ONLY one to actually eat a TACO, I look forward to this. It looks yummy. I fully expect the kids to turn up their noses (but who knows) and hubby just to eat his Tilapia sans the taco.  Regardless, it looks good. I bought some "homemade" Pico de gallo to add to it and a few fresh avacados. I MAY leave out the cumin in the spice mix. I'm not a fan. I'm guessing it will be fine without it. Thoughts?

Blackened Tilapia Tacos (7 points plus)
Ingredients (Serves 2-4)
½ Teaspoon Paprika
¼ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Teaspoon Pepper
¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
¼ Teaspoon Cumin
3 Tilapia Filets (3 pts per 5 oz)
1 ½ Tablespoons Olive Oil (I add 1 point for the olive oil)
1 Avocado (1/4 of an avacado is 2 pts)
4 Whole Wheat Tacos (I found some Tortillas at Kroger that are only 1 point each! If you cannot find these, most whole wheat tortillas are 3 pts each. Be sure to make the adjustment in the points total. I will try to take a picture of the brand I bought and post it later.)
Combine the dry seasonings in a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Lightly dust each side of the tilapia filets with the seasoning blend. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tilapia to the pan and cook the tilapia for five minutes on each side. Warm the tortillas. Smash a little bit of avocado on each tortilla. Place a half of a tilapia filet on to each taco. Break the filet apart a little bit. Serve with a little bit of fresh pico de gallo or salsa and some jalapeno slices.
Here is the link to the original recipe if you want to go take a peak at the pictures or step-by-step directions:
http://www.sarcasticcooking.com/2012/06/20/blackened-tilapia-tacos/

Any suggestions on side items to go with this?

And I'm thinking after the "heat" from the tacos, we may need something "cool." I'm considering this:
Too-Cool Key Lime Pie Sandwiches                        
PER SERVING (1/2 of recipe, 1 sandwich): 128 calories, 1g fat, 105mg sodium,
24g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 16g sugars, 7g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*





 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Even if you're not a huge fan of key lime pie, you'll FLIP over these. SOOOO AMAZING!!!!!!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt (like the kind by Fage or Chobani)
1 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. lime juice (key lime, if available)
2 sheets (8 crackers) low-fat cinnamon graham crackers, broken into 4 squares

Directions:

To make the filling, combine yogurt, sugar, and lime juice in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
Cover and place in the freezer for 25 - 30 minutes, until it reaches a soft-serve-like consistency
(very thick but soft enough to stir).

Place two graham cracker squares on a plate with the cinnamon-covered sides down.
Give filling a stir and evenly distribute between the two graham cracker squares, about 1/4 cup each.
Gently place another graham cracker square over each filling-topped square, cinnamon-covered sides up.

Place in the freezer until filling is firm, at least 1 hour. Enjoy!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS
 
 
 
Looks good, right? I will probably double it to make sure I have one for every member of the family.
 
Can't wait!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment