Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tomato Soup

Although I'm making chicken tonight, I'd rather have this soup. Its going to get colder this week, so maybe one night we'll have this and Grilled Cheese! Its really yummy and the pepper gives it a tiny kick! The points may have changed, though, as it was calculated using the OLD points system. It CAN'T be any more than 2 points per serving though. I will re-calculate when I make it later this week.   To go with it, I typically make Grilled cheese on low-point bread with 2% milk cheese slices (1 pt per slice) or WW cheese slices (also 1 pt per slice). Add a fruit salad and its a pretty filling dinner (or lunch) for only 5-6 points! I am not 100% where this recipe ORIGINALLY came from - my mother gave it to me!

Tomato Soup

About 1 WW point per cup

 
28 oz. Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes

26 oz. tomato soup, undiluted

32 oz. chicken broth

½ teaspoon black pepper – freshly ground

Salt to taste
Optional – Italian Seasoning

 
Pulse Italian tomatoes in food processor or blender until diced finely.  Recipe called for Progresso Diced Tomatoes with Italian Herbs. (I couldn’t find it so I used Del Monte’s diced with basil, garlic and oregano. Then I added about 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.)

In Dutch oven (large pot) mix blended tomatoes, soup, broth and pepper

Cook over medium heat – stirring occasionally – 10 or 15 minutes Just until hot.

 Makes approximately 11 cups

A 2 cup serving = about 110 calories and 0 fat. 

Just under 1 fiber.

 
Serve hot and may top with or without any of the options below:

Parmesan Cheese
Fresh chopped parsley
Sour Cream
Croutons
Fresh tomato diced

No comments:

Post a Comment