Monday, April 15, 2013

3 new dinner recipes - Try them!

Tuesday Night- Almond Crusted Tilapia. Its a new favorite fish recipe, for sure! I've made it once before and it went back on this month's dinner calendar for a reason! YUM!


Almond-Crusted Tilapia
 
*NOTE- this recipe makes TWO(2) fillets- double recipe if cooking for a family of 4!
Weight Watchers Points Plus - 6

 Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole natural almonds
2 tbsp dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic and herb seasoning blend (like Mrs. Dash),
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp canola oil (I use Olive Oil)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 (6 oz) tilapia fillets

Instructions
Place the almonds, bread crumbs, garlic-herb seasoning, and pepper in a food processor (I used my blender), and pulse until finely ground.
Pour crumb mixture into a shallow dish or plate.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Brush mustard over both sides of your tilapia fillets.
Dredge the fillets in crumb mixture then place fish in skillet.
Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes away easily.

Wednesday we had one of my favorite "summer" meals. I say summer because to make it the best possible way, you really need FRESH basil, and since my mom bought a plant last week that had plenty of beautiful basil, I used fresh, instead of my frozen "fresh" basil.  This is a super easy and quick stove-top meal that is easy to throw together!


Pan Glazed Chicken with Basil  
WW – 5 pts each

Ingredients
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (4 oz. each)
2 teaspoons olive oil
¼  teaspoon salt
¼  teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh (or 2 teaspoons dried leaves crushed) Basil

Directions:
Put oil in a skillet and heat to Medium high. 
Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with a little salt and pepper
Cook chicken on medium-high for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.                          
Flip it over and brown for about 6 minutes or until done.

Mix vinegar, honey and basil and drizzle over chicken and into skillet. Cook about one minute and flip it over for about one minute on the other side.  Very easy and very yummy! 


Thursday I had planned to make Mexican Meatball Subs, but kinks in our schedule prevented it. I did however, go ahead and make the actual meatballs and threw them in the freezer to make the subs later this month!

Friday night- I made a new recipe - Asian Lettuce Cups. It was fairly easy to throw together and was quite yummy. It was a "weird" dinner. Hubby and I ate it - the kids wouldn't touch it. I didn't really serve any "sides" and we just kind of helped ourselves and ate on the sofa while watching the news. Its almost more like an appetizer. THAT being said, I had TWO (2) servings for 9 points and I was NOT hungry the rest of the night!Its not comparable to PF Changs, in my opinion, but still something pretty good and very different than our normal dinner.

Oh - and since I have a freezer stocked full of ground venison, I used it instead of ground turkey. Ground Venison is basically the same points per ounce as ground turkey, so it was an even swap. However, if you choose to swap the ground turkey for ground beef- your points WILL be higher, so be aware of that!  This recipe requires some asian ingredients that most of us are not going to have lying around the pantry, so be aware of that, as well. I will now be investigating other recipes where I can use Hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and roasted red chili paste (sauce).
Asian Lettuce Cups
  • 1 1/4 lb. fat-free ground turkey
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 4)
  • 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
  • 12 Boston lettuce leaves (I never found these- I used another large lettuce)
  • 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 2 Tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce (green top)
  • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp. roasted red chili paste (what I found was more of a sauce...in a small jar)
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for about 6 minutes or until turkey is browned. Stir to crumble. Combine turkey mixture, onions and chopped water chestnuts in a large bowl, stirring well, and set aside.
Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar and roasted red chili paste and drizzle over the turkey mixture. Toss to coat completely. Add about 1/4 cup turkey mixture to each lettuce leaf, serve and enjoy!
 
Below is the nutritional info that came with the recipe. However, no matter how I calculated it, I couldn't come up with 5 points per serving, I was getting 4.3 = so I said 9 points for 2 servings (or 4 lettuce cups).
 
Servings: 6
Serving Size: Two (2) lettuce cups with 1/4 cup turkey mixture each (so basically -1/2 cup is one serving)
Calories: 182
Fat: 7.5 g
Carbs: 9.7 g
Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 19.1 g
Old Points: 4.1 pts
Points+: 5 pts

Here is the original blog post from Eat Yourself Skinny regarding the recipe.

Saturday we ate out- Mexican. I had Portabella and Vegie Fajitas. VERY good....the filling was basically 0 points, but each flour tortilla (3 came with it) was 4 points. I ate 2 1/2 of the tortillas, but I rounded up and went ahead and gave myself 12 points. I also enjoyed a few chips and cheese dip, so I added 6 points for that, as well. I pretty high dinner for me, but that is what the extra weekly points are for, right?

Sunday night, Hubby smoked a turkey! YUM!  Complete with roasted vegies, brocolli and a fruit salad, dinner was only the value of the turkey, which is 1 point per oz- and I figured I ate about 8 oz. It was SOOOO good!!!  I have 2 other meals on my dinner calendar this week that will use some of that turkey - Turkey Club sandwiches and Turkey Tortellini soup in the crockpot (which ironically is for a day that rain and cooler temps are forecasted this week).

And as a weight loss update- I am down 17.5 pounds total. My goal is somewhere between 20-25 depending on how my clothes are fitting. I want to give myself some wiggle room! :-)  Still on pace to hit my goal by Memorial Day (or sooner!)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment