Friday, April 26, 2013

Honey Lime Tilapia and Parmesan Chicken

I tried 2 new recipes this week. Both were good. Nothing SPECTACULAR about either, but they were both easy, had few ingredients, good flavor and were each under 6 points. Not a bad dinner!

The first was Honey Lime Tilapia. Its been on my meal calendar for several months and for reasons I can't remember, it keeps getting bumped. I FINALLY made it and it was good. My 10 year old ate it. My picky-7 year old did not, but she doesn't really eat any kind of fish, though.  I didn't notice the "marinate 1-24 hours" on the recipe until about 2 hours before dinner, so...welll...it marinated 2 hours. I think I would like it to marinate the full 24-hours. I also may try mixing the marinade, adding the fish, then freezing until I need it!

(FYI - neither of the photos below are mine- they came from the websites where the original recipes were written/mentioned)


Honey Lime Tilapia

Serves: 4
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5

Ingredients

·        For the fish and marinade:

  • 4 (4-5oz) tilapia fillets (thawed if frozen)
  • Juice and zest of 1 lime
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

·        For dredging and cooking:

  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1-2 Tbsp olive oil

Instructions

  1. Assemble marinade by combining lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a gallon-sized zip-top bag or shallow container with a lid. Add fish and marinate in the refrigerator anywhere from 1 hour up to 24 hours*.
  2. When ready to cook, combine flour with salt and pepper on a plate. Remove each fish fillet from the marinade and dredge lightly with the flour on both sides (just a light, light coating).
  3. Heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook fillets 2 at a time for 3-4 minutes per side or until opaque and browned (this works best if you don't disturb the fish much while letting it cook).
  4. Serve with lime wedges or peach salsa.

Notes

*If you want to plan this meal in advance, you can prepare the fish and marinade in a large freezer bag and keep it in the freezer. Move frozen fish and marinade to the refrigerator the morning you plan to serve the fish and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator. It will marinate while it thaws!

Wordpress Recipe Plugin and Microformatting by EasyRecipe

Last night, I made Chicken Parmesan.
 
My kids have been bugging me about making spaghetti, so I killed 2 birds with one stone. I boiled some whole wheat noodles and heated up a small jar of spaghetti sauce. I served the chicken atop  (on the side for the kiddos) the noodles and put the sauce on top of it. Just a little bit goes a long way - maybe 2-3 tablespoons. I didn't use the "serving size" of 1/4 cup of sauce on my chicken, but if you do, add 2 points for that. I used about 1/8 cup, so I added 1 point for sauce and I ate about 1/2 of a serving of noodles, so I added 2 points for that. In lieu of typing out the recipe, here is the link to the original recipe. I calculated the chicken to be 5 points. It was pretty yummy and smelled amazing while cooking. I served it with a side of roasted zuccini with a little tiny bit of shredded parmesan cheese on top and a fresh fruit salad.

And to end on a HIGH NOTE- I've officially lost 19.5 lbs!!!  I'm about 4 lbs from my goal weight!! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment