Monday, April 29, 2013

Down 20 lbs & 5 point Mexican Meatball Subs

I'VE OFFICIALLY LOST 20 POUNDS!!! WOOT!! WOOT!!

So, I FINALLY got around to acutally cooking the Mexican Meatball Subs. I made the meatballs a few weeks ago and stuck them in my freezer, so I thawed 'em out and last night the meal was made.
I calculated each individual meatball to be about 1 point. I used 2 point buns, so 3 meatballs on a bun = 5 points. I sprinkled cheese on mine and used a tiny amount of sour cream. Those 2 items together probably didn't equal 1 point, but I gave myself 6 total points for the sandwich. I didn't like the salsa on it at all - I think I would have preferred it like I do my tacos = with a REAL tomato, diced small. I will make these again BECAUSE MY KIDS ATE THEM!!!   They didn't eat it sandwich style, but they ate the meatballs. My oldest even requested them for lunch today! SCORE!!!!!  I served this with peas (at the request of my youngest), steamed broccoli and a fruit salad with fresh mango and straight-from-Alabama strawberries! I'd also like to note that I made these with ground venison, which is basically 1 point per ounce, and taste VERY similar to 96% Lean ground beef. I'm sure you could easily make them with ground turkey, as well. (and again, I'd like to note that the picture is NOT mine. Its a photo from cullyskitchen.com)

Mexican Meatball Subs
 
1 Lb. 96% Lean Ground Beef (or ground turkey or ground venison)
1 Large Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
5 Hot Dog Bun, low calorie, 2 points each
5 Tablespoons Shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella Cheese (I used Colby Jack)
5 Tablespoons Salsa
5 Tablespoons Sour Cream, light (I used fat free)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine the ground beef, egg and taco seasoning mix by hand. Divide into 15 meatballs (a little over 1 1/2 tablespoons each).
3. Spray a 9 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the meatballs in the baking dish so that they aren't touching. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle. If they start to brown too fast on top, you can lay a piece of foil on top of the dish.
4. Once complete, place 3 meatballs inside each hotdog bun. Top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese, 1 tablespoon of salsa and 1 tablespoon of sour cream. You can also top with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes if desired.

Serves: 5
Per Serving: 254 Calories; 8g Fat (28.2% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 103mg Cholesterol; 496mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. WWP: 5-6  (depending on bun)((www.AimeesAdventures.com)


NOTE - Step 2 can be done ahead of time and frozen for later use!

No comments:

Post a Comment